Monday, April 6, 2009

In the Words of John Piper

This past Sunday marked the beginning of our new Sunday school session. In looking at our choices, Tom and I chose a class taught by Ed Hatch that centers on the book, Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper. I found myself only a few months ago perusing the bargain table when this very book caught my eye. So I bought it. Maybe its the approach of the big "50" or Tom's AF retirement in the near future or, just maybe, the Lord speaking to my heart. Hmmm. Anyway, with a class being offered about the very book I'd just recently read, I knew God had more for me still. Like most people, I want my life to count for eternity. It is the same for you...something pleads passionately from your heart to take a risk.

Piper's challenge from the preface, "There is a warning. The path of God-exalting joy will cost you your life. Jesus said, 'Whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it." In other words, it is better to lose your life than to waste it. If you live gladly to make others glad in God, your life will be hard, your risks will be high, and your joy will be full. This is not a book about how to avoid a wounded life, but how to avoid a wasted life. Some of you will die in the service of Christ. That will not be a tragedy. Treasuring life above Christ is a tragedy."

No comments:

Post a Comment